Monday, December 1, 2008

The Bedroom

This room, like all the others, was a disaster.
It was 3 shades of a peachy pink color and it was so loud and busy it hurt to be in the room. If you are uneasy in a room change the color it'll do you wonders!

Here is the atrocity, i can't even talk about it anymore.



Selecting the color for this room proved to be about a 1 year challenge for me. I went from one end of the spectrum to the other and everything in between and i couldn't decide.

The blues were not right with the lighting.. it looked to girly or too Victorian. Yellows were too dull or way to bright. No red, No purples, No oranges. Neutrals were ok but washed out with the neutral carpeting. I found my solace in the greens. I was looking for a sage green.. (NOT like the bathroom) I need a color to pop a bit.. not too much though.

Even the greens proved hard to decide on. They were either to GREEN or to GREY. I attribute it to the lighting in the room. So i went to Benjamin Moore and got a sample to start with at least. I never made it home. I stopped at KMart for some tension rods and when i was leaving i glanced over at the towels and found the green i wanted. Luckily for me i had a paint swatch in the car from the Benjamin Moore store that matched it perfectly!

I didn't even go home to test the sample or check the lighting i went right to Home Depot to color match Benjamin Moore's Fernwood, and it looked beautiful.

The project started off like a nightmare though. Because the doors were pink/peachy when i put the green on the walls i felt like i was in a bad candy nightmare. I was almost in tears because i was at a loss with color, but i kept up my optimism and kept on painting until about 3am that morning. I got one coat of wall and trim done and collapsed on the couch until the sun came up a few hours later.

I went back upstairs, espresso in hand, and slowly opened the door. To my chagrin the room looked great! I was so happy! With my rejuvenated energy i got right to painting the second coats.

Here is the finished product. (Again, window treatments and artwork are in the next phase)

Up Next... The Kitchen






2 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,

    Thankyou for the compliment on the Floral Blog, I'm glad you like the pictures. To answer your question i'm quite sure most of them aren't native.

    I love the end product on the bedroom renovation. i like the color you chose for the walls, and the bed makes me tired just looking at it lol.

    kindest Regards,

    Chris.

    ReplyDelete