Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not all Living Rooms Live

This holds true for the living room in this home.

I almost have some empathy for this house as it just had no life to it! So much history yet so poorly decorated to the point that the house was cold and uneasy feeling.



Tara to the rescue!

We'll start with paint because that I can quickly do. Window treatments and furniture and artwork will be a W.I.P. for budgetary reasons.

Selecting a color isn't always as simple as liking a color and buying the paint. I sit on colors for weeks before making a decision. I had, oh about, 20 color swatches and i decided to attach them all over the room. In my travels i would glance over and see if anything jumped out at me, but nothing did for a long time. Then one day some colors started catching my eye, i liked that because now i can visualize, with the color, the feeling of the room.
I decided to sit on the room (literally) with the color all day and watch as the sun moved around the room and changed the colors of the swatches. That helped me narrow down the ones that fared well with the lighting changes. My biggest challenge was night time with lamp lights and the sunrise.

I camped out on the couch that night, of course falling asleep to HGTV, and when the sun awoke i did too and the color POPPED right out at me. I took the swatch and compared it to the wood features of the room and it went with everything. The color is Desert Camel by Behr. This is it's beautfil transformation of the living room


This color warmed up the room exactly as i had hoped. It also makes it feel larger than it is.
I truly can't wait to buy the properly scaled furniture and get the flat screen for the wall and the window treatments up. This room is going to ROCK!

Up next... The Bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment